check Interested in Processing Raw Curiosity Images from the PDS?

7 years 4 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #6854 by Todd
If there is anyone who wants to process past sol images from Curiosity, here is one way to go about doing that based on my personal experience. Your first step will be collection of data, retrieving the raw .img file from NASA's Planetary Data System. There are several ways I've found to do this but the easiest way to start, is through the "MSL Notebook," which organizes science data from Curiosity Rover. Clicking the Sol tab in the upper left will take you to the appropriate sol mission data products and the camera images will be among them with a preview window. In the image window is an action tab which will take you to the raw .img data file along with a label file, you'll generally want both. They also have a jpg and png versions.

The raw .img Mastcam & MAHLI-cam files come in different versions (DRCX, DRCL, DRXX & DRLX)*. Once you have the raw .img file and label file of your choice, it will need to be converted into a TIF or PNG image by a spectral conversion program. The one that works for me is the "Multispec" developed at Purdue University. Once acquired, it has a window with which the .img files can be opened. For the mastcam images, you set the color filters (Red-1, Green-2, Blue-3), and I usually select the Min-max Enhancement to "Entire Range" to start. You can set a percentage to clip the tails, to give the image a contrast stretch, but I find the images generally loose details that way. Contrast can be a good tool to provide a little dimension in an otherwise flat image but when over used, can destroy it by obscuring details. If the lights have lost detail, there's generally too much. Anyway, click ok, give the file a directory and make a TIF file that you can correct in a photo program. From my experience, they tend to look a little red because of the mid-range, so they usually need some red removed and a little saturation added. Too much saturation will cause additional color noise so my advice is, like contrast, use it sparingly.

If the "Multispec" does not work for you, there is also IMG2PNG . It works with command prompt commands and you need to make sure your raw file is in the same directory as IMG2PNG. I will post more about processing MSL images here in the near future, but this will get you started. Any questions, post them in this thread and I will respond to them as time permits. Below, some additional resources.

pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/

www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/

www.whatsupinthesky.com/index.php/forum/nasapds/2506-a-good-start-for-beginners-of-the-planetary-database-system#5391
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Todd. Reason: *updated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Purplehaze67, Badsneaker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 4 months ago #6855 by ??
:) I wondered how you do that. Now I know. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks! :cheer:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #7912 by Todd
Anybody else want to give it a try? :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #12042 by Todd
For those interested, here is a tip on opening PDS images with Photoshop from Emily Lakdawalla.

www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2018/0307-image-processing-trick-raw-photoshop.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #13342 by Badsneaker
Todd, thanks for the tips. I've been able to use the files from the PDS using the bulk file download and wget. I found the latest release of Irfanview does a very good job converting the .DAT files into jpg, png, tiff, et al. in batch mode. Although it seems that some of the images from the PDS in a given SOL don't line up correctly when assembling mosaics. I've been using Kolor and Image Composite Editor with differing results. Some mosaics come out great with one and not the other. Photoshop also works very good for mosaics with a smaller number of images.

I would be interested in knowing what other's are using to assemble mosaics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

More
5 years 7 months ago #13349 by Todd
I use Photoshop CC to combine most of my composites, it'll handle 200+ images but that may have something to do with RAM, processor type and bit depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker, Glitch_Neo

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #13359 by Glitch_Neo

I use Photoshop CC to combine most of my composites, it'll handle 200+ images but that may have something to do with RAM, processor type and bit depth.

I have recently been trying both ICE and CC (2015) to stitch - both have varying results but CC can definitely do better job with some and ICE with others... I have yet to find anything (Free) that does just as good a job as these 2.

Todd - It certainly does depend on RAM - While stitching my old Q600 with 7gb of 6400DDR2 Ram is just bottle-necking at the ram side while the processor sits doing nothing pretty much - I think the HUGE advantage is faster DDR3 Ram and LOT's of it!

Sol 1931 for instance - I can't get anything other a frozen PC once i try and stitch the 192 tiff Images together - Ram usage even though set to 85% system total just crashes out or would take days to complete.... now with 16gb or ram, I dont think this would be an issue even if the ddr2 is slow.

I don't have much spare cash to upgrade - so for now my old "Frankenstein" cobbled together PC will have to do - Christmas time I will upgrade the whole lot - Something a bit more like my sons machine - FX8400 Vishera CPU (Octacore OC version) with a 1050gtx as the 3 gb are coming way down in price now.... My M/board can only take 8gb over 4 slots which is really crap... I'd give anything for my old HP workstation to still work, that could take 64gb (ddr2) and 2 gpu's .... now it's dead and thats thats! lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: