file Mathematical mystery of ancient Babylonian clay tablet solved

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #9704 by ??
Old Babylonian mathematics and Plimpton 322: A new understanding of the OB tablet Plimpton 322

What is the true role and meaning of Plimpton 322, the most famous mathematical clay tablet from Old Babylonian times? In this video Daniel and Norman explain their new theory: that Plimpton 322 was actually the world's first trigonometric table, but this was a ratio-based trigonometry, not an angle-based trigonometry. Remarkably, this table is also the world's only exact trigonometry table; all subsequent tables have been approximate.

To understand why, we need to understand how the OB scribes thought about triangles as half of a rectangle consisting of a short side, a long side and a diagonal. Ratios in such a triangle were based around their notion of ukullu, which they shared with the ancient Egyptians, who called it seqed. P322 turns out to (be) exactly all someone (needs) to look up an exact integral triangle from a single ratio of sides, and then to deduce other ratios: crucially without invoking a square root calculation.

Plimpton 322 is Babylonian exact sexagesimal trigonometry (ABSTRACT)

The Mathematics of the Heavens and the Earth: The Early History of Trigonometry (book mentioned near end of video)

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by ??. Reason: Added link. Reset font.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #12059 by ??
Thrice Great Hermetica And The Janus Age .....

Rene Descartes (0:40:35 – 0:41:31) [Inventor of Cartesian coordinate system]

“We see that the old geometers have made use of a kind of an analysis which they extended to the solution of all problems. Albeit they have hidden it from posterity. I well realize that they must have known a kind of mathematics that was very different from today’s common one, not that I think they knew it perfectly. And indeed some traces of this true mathematics seem to me still to appear in Pappus, who, though not belonging to the most ancient ages, lived many centuries before our times. I would also think that later on it was suppressed by its very authors because of a certain wicked slyness.”

Gottfried Leibniz: (0:46:18 – 0:46:55) [Inventor of calculus]

“The ancients seem to have recognized and possessed such an analysis proper to geometry, for in their works I think I can make out some vestiges of it, namely of an algebra in which numbers are not the issue. Certainly it is by this art that they unfolded those propositions otherwise we would not have had them for such a long time which only with difficulty would we find by using our modern methods. I think I have attained and discovered the foundation and first lineaments of this art with which, once we have found the right symbols and established some principles, we can obtain everything else by an imitation of calculating, and with no need to follow the lines with our imagination, the result which I’m not sure even the ancients have ever attained.”

Isaac Newton (0:43:39 - 0:44:18) [Inventor of calculus]

“To be sure, the ancients’ method is more elegant by far than the Cartesian one, for Descartes achieved the result by an algebraic calculus which when transfused into words, following the practice of the ancients in their writings, would prove to be so tedious and entangled as to provoke nausea; nor might it be understood. But they accomplished it by certain simple proportions, judging that nothing written in a different style is willing to be read, and in consequence concealing the analysis by which they found their construction.”
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: